Marquette County, Wisconsin Place Names



Marquette County was formed from a portion of Brown County in December 1836.
The boundaries of the county were enlarged in later years to include the 
present Marquette, Green Lake and Waushara counties and portions of Fond du 
Lac and Winnebago Counties. By 1860 Marquette County's boundaries were 
established as they are today. The county was named for the French Jesuit 
missionary-explorer, Jacques Marquette.

The earliest birth registrations at the Marquette County courthouse in 
Montello begin in 1864, the earliest marriage registrations are 1863, and the
earliest death registrations are 1876. Wisconsin did not require registration
of vital events until Oct 1, 1907, with nearly full compliance reached a few
years after that date. Before Oct 1, 1907, vital event registration was 
voluntary in most cases, and could be filed in any WI county courthouse.


The place names presented below are from these sources:


Portrait and Biographical Album of Green Lake, Marquette and Waushara Counties, Wisconsin. Acme Publishing Co., Chicago, 1890 Federal Census of Marquette County Wisconsin Wisconsin: It's Counties, Townships and Villages by Wendy Zastrow Uncapher and Linda Zastrow Herrick, Origins, Janesville WI 1994 Wisconsin: It's Territorial and Statehood Post Offices, compiled by Frank Moertl, published 1995 by Wisconsin Postal History Society Conversations with older Marquette and Adams County residents 1886 and 1939 U. S. Post Office Guides, Marquette Co. information sent by Tim Stowell. "Granite Graphics" news column appeared in circa 1881-83 Montello Sun newspaper Green Lake County Wisconsin History 1860 Places & Faces (Marquette Co. WI), Vol. I, by Fran Sprain, 1991 Source: Places & Faces (Marquette Co. WI), Vol. II, by Fran Sprain, 1993 Princeton's Centennial Book 1973 Roxo's early history was printed in the June 3, 1882 Sun (Montello, Marquette Co. WI) If you have additions or corrections for this file please contact Joan

MARQUETTE COUNTY PLACE NAMES
PLACE NAME POST OFFICE BEGAN POST OFFICE DISCONTINUED TOWNSHIP & SECTION
Albany--see Hardin - - -
Black Creek 1851 1854 St Marie twp in present Green Lake County
Bluffton 1847 1853 Brooklyn twp, north of city of Green Lake in Green Lake County
Briggsville was known as McIntyre Creek, post office opened 1856 settled about 1849 In Douglas Township, 20 miles SW of Montello
Browning formerly known as Midland post office opened 1896 post office opened 1919
Budsin 1901 1912 Crystal Lake 28, at County E and Hwy 22, near Neshkoro
Browning, formerly known as Midland - - in Buffalo Township, Southeast Marquette County
Buffalo Lake, see description in Packwaukee Twp. 1850 1851 Packwaukee Twp. 29
Buffalo Township - - Southeast corner of Marquette County
Crawford , post office est. 1877, see Ordino and also in Springfield Twp post office disc. 1878 -
Crooked Lake (now Oxford) 1851 1854 Oxford 17
Crystal Lake - - in NE Marquette County
Douglas Township - - southwest corner of Marquette County
Douglas Center 1861 1904 Douglas 10, about 18 miles SW of Montello
Endeavor, see Merritt's Landing formerly known as Merritt's Landing post office opened 1899 -
Forrestville town platted in 1855 - Springfield 32
Germania 1853 1912 Shields 12, 8 miles NE of Montello
Glenoak 1915 1952 Montello 30
Greenwood 1850 1859 unknown
Granite - - unknown
Grover 1888 1912 Buffalo 7
Hamilton - - northeast of Princeton in present Green Lake Co.
Hanks or Hanks Station - - RR station at the SW edge of the town of Harris
Hardin (was Albany) - - location found in 1855 Marq Co Census, which included Green Lake Co
Harris Township - - -
Harrisville 1851 1909 Harris 11, 8 miles NW of Montello
Hill River later known as Montello - -
Indian Lands later a part of Marquette, Waushara and Green Lake Co - -
Jeddo 1858 1902 Buffalo 16, about 8 miles south of Montello
Lawrence 1868 1887 Westfield 9, town formed ca. 1857
Lenape 1852 1854 unknown
Liberty Bluff (Station) 1878 1903 Springfield 2, 18 miles NW of Montello
Long Lake 1851 1862 Listed as a post office in the 1860 census of Buffalo Twp
Marquette or Marquette Co - - -
McIntyre Creek, later known as Briggsville 1854 1856 Douglas 31
Meadow Valley - - Unknown, mentioned in 1916 Westfield Central Union
Mecan Township - - -
Mecan 1903 1906 Montello 17
Merritt's Landing (later called Endeavor) 1878 1891 Moundville 6, 12 miles SW of Montello
Merrittville see Merritt's Landing 1894 1899
Midland see Browning 1857 1896 Buffalo 34, about 12 miles south of Montello
Montello Township - - -
Montello 1850 Montello
Montello Corners (in Packwaukee Twp) - - near highways 23 and M
Moundville Township - - -
Moundville 1851 1904 Moundville 20
Mt. Pisgah (in Crystal Lake Twp) - - -
Namahkun see State Center/TD> - Northeast of Princeton in present Green Lake Co.
Neshkoro Township - - -
Neshkoro Village 1850 - Neshkoro 8
Newton Township - - -
Newton 1854 1857 unknown
Oaklawn community circa 1900 (no post office) -- Co. F, 3 miles south of Montello
Ordino 1854 1878 Newton 3
Oxford Township - - -
Oxford Village formerly called Crooked Lake 1854 7 miles west of Packwaukee, 15 miles west of Montello
Packwaukee Township - - geographic center of Marquette Co.
Packwaukee Village 1850 Packwaukee 20, 8 miles SW of Montello
Pleasant Valley - - an earlier name for current Princeton Twp in Green Lake Co.
Princeton - - Currently in Green Lake Co., once a part of Marq. Co
Roslin 1851 1902 Buffalo 30, about eight miles from Montello
Roxoalso see Packwaukee Twp. 1851 1854 Packwaukee 13 (1890 Co. History says Section 15)
Russell Flats - - In Western Westfield Twp
Serario later known as Montello - -
Shields Township - - north of Montello
South Montello - - part of Montello south of the Fox River
Springfield Township - - northwest corner of Marquette Co.
Springfield Corners (in Newton Twp) - - -
St. Marie St. Marie was platted in 1851 - about 2 miles northeast of Princeton in present Green Lake Co.
State Center formerly known as Namahkun - northeast of Princeton in present Green Lake Co.
Stone Hill 1854 1864 Crystal Lake 31
Sunny Flats - - West of Montello on State Road 23
Westfield Township - - -
Westfield 1851 - Westfield 12
This site is maintained by Joan and was last updated November 2007
Click here to send Joan an e-mail
Back to the Marquette pages Menu